It’s a typical Friday night and your friends are over to celebrate with some drinks. Amidst the partying, you forget what your pet is up to, only to realize that it has licked some alcohol off the floor. Can dogs drink alcohol? This piece bottles up the answers to your questions.
Is Alcohol Safe for Dogs?
Seriously? NO! Never attempt feeding your dog alcohol.
Your dog’s liver and kidneys are not equipped or meant to adapt and digest alcoholic drinks. Whether it’s beer, wine, or any other liquor, the ethanol content can harm your pet fatally.
You also have to be wary about fruit drinks or foods with minute alcohol content. These products are composed of Xylitol, which causes a high level of toxification. This could even kill your pet.
How is Alcohol Dangerous?
What happens if dogs have alcohol? Any kind of alcoholic beverage poses a threat to your dog’s central nervous system.
It is inhuman to experiment with alcohol because even small amounts can lead to a condition called metabolic acidosis. When this happens your dog will experience an uncontrolled escalation of body acid levels.
Its normal metabolism will cease to function due to the infusion of ethanol into the bloodstream. Therefore, it can be fatal and life-threatening for your canine.
Also Read: Can My Dog Eat Watermelon
Symptoms Of Alcohol Toxification
The symptoms of alcohol poisoning are often exhibited within 30 to 60 mins. The signs may appear late, but your dog’s system deteriorates internally at a fast rate and it starts to appear lost and confused.
Here is what you should also look for:
- Excessive panting and gasping for breath
- Intestinal ailments leading to vomiting and diarrhea
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Hypothermia (low body temperature)
- Experiencing tremors
- Lack of coordination, dizziness, and disorientation
- Excess release of saliva
- Increased thirst
- Low energy levels
If these symptoms aggravate, it could lead to a coma and it can be fatal.
What To Do If Your Dog Drinks Alcohol
Highlighting the threats of alcohol poisoning, the ASPCA listing mentions, “Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol.”
If your dog accidentally takes a sip of your drink, it can be dangerous and you need to look out for the symptoms. The size of your dog and alcohol content in the beverage it consumed also determines how badly it will cost its health.
While you have to keep an eye on your dog at all times, here is what you need to do if it ingests alcohol by any chance:
Your immediate action should be to inform your pet’s doctor. The vet may either ask you to rush to the clinic or wait till certain obvious symptoms appear.
The safest bet is to take your dog to the clinic immediately. This will ensure that your dog is in safe hands should there be a need for any kind of emergency operation. In most cases, your dog will be kept on an intravenous drip to aid hydration.
You can also consult the ASPCA’s emergency Animal Poison Control Center by calling 888-426-4435.
How To Prevent Your Dog from Consuming Alcohol?
If your pet ingests alcohol, there is little chance that you can do something to reverse it. Although there are some ways you can prevent it. Here are some of them:
- Keep all forms of alcohol away from your pet’s reach. Store it in cabinets or shelves so that your dog has no access to it.
- Never leave your drink unattended. If you are having a party make sure that you throw away leftover glasses, and avoid any spilling on the floor. On normal days, when you sip wine by yourself, clean up the place and keep the drinks back in the fridge.
- Instruct your guests to maintain pet-friendly behavior. In no way should they encourage or experiment with sneaking your dog some alcohol.
- Keep your pet away from a party with drinks involved.
Should You Be Worried About Alcohol In Edible Items?
Alcohol in any form will adversely affect your dog’s health. This means that you need to keep all products and medication with alcohol content away from its sight.
Your perfumes, body washes, nail polish removers, detergents, wiper fluids, mouthwashes, bug sprays, sanitizers, etc, are all items that you should keep away from your pet’s reach.
Frequently Asked Questions
When asked what alcohol is safe for dogs, the answer is none! Let’s understand in detail why each beverage is toxic for your canine friend.
Can My Dog Drink Wine?
No, your dog should not drink wine. Wine is made up of one or more grape extracts. Grape is another substance that is toxic for dogs. A standard 50z glass of wine holds around 20% ethanol, which is good enough to poison your dog.
Can My Dog Drink Beer?
Sipping beer with your pet sounds like a fun activity. However, it’s not safe for your dog at all. Dogs experience intoxication faster than any lightweight human. If you find your dog licking some beer off the pint, rush to the vet immediately for IV treatment or rehydration techniques
Can My Dog Drink Whiskey?
Hard liquors like whiskey, gin, or rum are the biggest threat to your pet. The alcohol content in them is alarmingly high for your dog’s body if consumed.
This article answers the question can dogs drink alcohol in great detail.
As a pet owner, you might be tempted to share a drink with your pet. However, although you may be excited to try out new things, alcohol is one thing that is off-limits for dogs. No matter how big or healthy your dog is, alcohol is a big no.
Not only is it dangerous to experiment with alcohol when it comes to your pet but it can also be fatal. So it’s advisable to ensure that your dog stays away from any kind of alcohol at all times.