Food & Diet

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

At A Glance

Are you unsure about offering your dog a healthy snack like grapes? You could be tempted to feed your dog grapes if you’re eating them.

But can dogs eat grapes? Here is everything you need to know.

You are tempted to feed your pet sweet snacks whether as part of their regular diet or as occasional treats. However, you should avoid feeding your pet grapes because it can be fatal. Can dogs eat grapes? Let’s find out.


Can My Dog Eat Grapes?

Grapes are a sweet and healthy snack for humans. However, grapes are toxic for dogs. Any product made from grapes such as raisins is equally toxic.

Grapes contain toxic agents which can harm your dog. The size, age, breed or, gender of your dog doesn’t matter. A Labrador is at the same risk as a Chihuahua when it comes to grape poisoning.

Homegrown grapes are also toxic for dogs. Studies have shown that seedless and peeled grapes are equally toxic for canines. You should never feed your dog grapes or raisins because the effects could be fatal.

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Toxicity?

Many symptoms indicate grape poisoning. Your dog will start to show symptoms within a few hours of consumption.


Your pet is probably dehydrated if it pants excessively and has pale gums. A simple test to check for dehydration is to pull the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. The skin will not spring back immediately if the pet is dehydrated.

Increase in Thirst

Worry when your dog starts to show signs that it is extremely thirsty. Normally it will urinate a lot or not urinate at all. Thirst could be the beginning of acute kidney failure, which is fatal.

Abdominal Pain

You will know if your dog is in pain if its belly feels tender. This sign will show within 12-24 hours of ingesting grapes.

Other symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness and lethargy
  • Loss of appetite



What Can You Do If Your Dog Consumed a Grape?

Did you leave grapes within your dog’s reach? Here are the actions you can take:

Call Your Vet

Your first response should be to call your vet. Before carrying out any first aid on your pet, make sure your vet verifies that it’s needed. It’s advisable to call your vet immediately if you suspect that your dog has eaten grapes. If you don’t react promptly, your pet could be severely affected by grape poisoning.

Your vet could ask you several questions such as how long it has been since your dog has consumed the grapes, how many grapes it has eaten, and other such questions. Ideally, you must take your pet to the vet after administering first aid.

dog lying on the ground

Induce Vomiting

If it’s been two hours or less since your dog ingested grapes, your vet will probably instruct you to induce vomiting. Inducing vomiting is the best emergency treatment for your dog before the toxins from the grapes are fully absorbed by its body. Hydrogen peroxide solution can be used to induce vomiting. The vet will advise you on the right amount to give your dog.

If your dog doesn’t vomit within ten minutes, you must feed it hydrogen peroxide again. However, you must not try to induce vomiting more than three times in case your dog doesn’t vomit.

You must induce vomiting only when you are sure that your dog has eaten some grapes and if it’s been less than two hours since it did.

Do not attempt to induce vomiting if your dog is unconscious, cannot breathe properly, or is in shock. If it vomits, it’s a good sign because it’s likely that the toxins have been removed from its body, however, remember to still take him to the vet. In case it doesn’t vomit, call the vet immediately.

Administer Fluid Therapy

Fluid therapy is an effective form of treatment for your dog if it has eaten grapes. It is advisable to administer fluid therapy within 48 hours of ingestion. With a combination of other drugs, fluid therapy makes your dog urinate the toxins out.

Dialysis is the next step if your pet doesn’t urinate within a short period. Dialysis is meant to support your dog’s kidneys and prevent any possibilities of acute renal failure.

can my dog eat grapes?

The answer to the question “Can dogs eat grapes?” is no. Do not, for any reason, attempt to feed your dog grapes, raisins, or fruit juices that contain grapes. Dogs are severely affected by the toxins that grapes produce should they consume them.

Reacting on time is essential if your dog has ingested grapes. In some cases, treatment will not be enough if the toxins have spread inside your dog’s body. So, it’s best practice to keep grapes away from your dog.

Check out this article to see if dogs can eat mangoes.

Next Article

Can Dogs Eat Vegetables?

Paul Andrews

A digital marketing expert by profession, Andrews is a gifted writer and animal lover at heart. A self-confessed "pawrent", Andrews is well-versed in all things dogs. He uses his years of experience of raising puppies into show-quality dogs to help guide first-time pet parents. He believes in spreading the joy that comes with being a dog dad and advocates more families to adopt pets.