Can my dog eat mushrooms? Found on exotic menus around the globe, mushrooms are extremely popular among humans. But can your dog eat them too? Find out below.
Can I Feed My Dog Mushrooms?
It depends on what species of mushrooms you’re feeding them. Many types of mushrooms contain multiple nutrients like amino acids, vitamins A and B, copper, enzymes, folate, iron, magnesium, manganese, niacin, pantothenic acid, potassium, riboflavin phosphorus, selenium, and zinc. Mushrooms are rich in fiber, proteins, and antioxidants.
However, not all mushrooms are edible. Dogs, like humans, can develop serious symptoms by ingesting toxic mushrooms. So be very careful about which mushrooms to feed your dog.
The rule is simple: only feed your dog the type of mushroom that you will eat. It is also important to note that raw mushrooms should be avoided.
What Kinds of Mushrooms Are Toxic to Dogs?
Below are a few varieties of toxic mushrooms that you must avoid feeding your dog. This is crucial if you have a big yard, or if you go hiking. You must learn how to identify toxic mushrooms.
- Amanita phalloides (known as death cap)
- Amanita gemmata (known as jeweled death cap)
- Galerina marginata (known as deadly galerina)
- Amanita muscaria (known as fly agaric)
- Gyromitra (known as false morals)
- Amanita pantherina (known as panther cap)
- Clitocybe species
- Inocybe species
Did you know: There are approximately 44,000 kinds of mushrooms
If you’re curious about the mushrooms you can feed your dog, then check the ones below. These are commonly found in the markets.
- Portobello mushrooms
- White button mushrooms
- Cremini mushrooms
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms
- Maitake mushrooms
- Porcini mushrooms
- Chanterelle mushrooms
- Morel mushrooms
What Are The Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs?
Pay attention to what your dog eats and even more so if they’ve ingested something they shouldn’t have.
If you think your dog has snacked on some toxic mushrooms, watch out for these symptoms.
- Slow heart rate
- Watery eyes
- Seizures/ tremors
- Abdominal pain
- Liver failure
If you see any of the above-mentioned symptoms, take your dog to the vet immediately. Carry some of the mushrooms your dog ate to the vet for them to check. It’ll make it easier to treat your pet if they know what is wrong.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can My Dog Eat Mushrooms on Pizzas?
No. Pizzas always have multiple seasonings and spices on them. These aren’t safe for dogs to consume. The heavy carb content in it will probably cause dogs to have an upset stomach too.
Can Dogs Eat Store-Bought Mushrooms?
Store-bought mushrooms are okay to feed your dog. However, a few points must be kept in mind. Should you feed them raw? No.
Your dog can eat store-bought mushrooms as long as you don’t add any seasoning or spices.
Also Read: Human Foods Can Your Dog Eat
How to Prepare Mushrooms for Dogs to Eat?
The most crucial step is to thoroughly wash mushrooms and clean them. Make sure you have removed any dirt on the skin. Peel them if necessary. Cut them into small pieces. Boil them or lightly saute them in a little olive oil.
When they cool down you can feed them directly to your dogs or mix them up in some of their meals.
How Much Mushroom is Toxic for Dogs?
Like all food, mushrooms in large quantities aren’t good for your dog. Their digestive system is more sensitive and needs a strictly monitored diet. A few small pieces are more than enough occasionally. But mushrooms should not exceed more than 10% of your dog’s meals.
Can my dog eat mushrooms? Yes. But not all mushrooms are edible.
It is essential to keep in mind the various symptoms of mushroom poisoning. To know for sure if your dog is allergic to mushrooms, feed it a tiny bite and check for reactions within the next 24 hours. Mushrooms can be a nice treat for your dogs once in a while. But, tread with caution before doing so.