We are reader supported, we earn a small commission when you buy something using our retail links.
Food & Diet

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

At A Glance

Can dogs eat raisins or grapes? Sadly, they cannot and should not! Grapes may be healthy for humans, but they can cause poisoning for dogs. Not only that, snacks like raisins and currants are a big no as well. It is still unclear why grapes are bad for dogs, but some theories suggest:

  • Salicylate, which is naturally found in grapes, may cause decreased blood flow.
  • Tartaric acid, a white and crystalline organic acid found in some fruits, may be toxic to dogs.

Last Updated on: July 14, 2023

Who doesn’t love grapes, right? The fruit is sweet, succulent, and loved in all variants, like raisins, currants, and wines, among others.

The question is: Can dogs eat grapes? While many people love this fruit, dogs may have some gripes about grapes. Turns out even a single grape can be fatal for dogs.

No matter which variety you choose-green, red, black, or purple-grapes are bad for dogs. In fact, even raisins and currants are considered dangerous to dogs.

custom oil-painted dog portraits by Poshtraits

Addressing the Gripes

“Thou shall not feed your dog grapes.”

This should be carved in stone by each pet parent. No matter how much you want to share your snack with your fur baby, when it comes to grapes, your dog is better off without a snack.

So, why can’t dogs eat grapes?

According to research published on ScienceDirect, “Grapes or raisins contain unknown toxins that cause acute renal failure associated with hypercalcemia, hyperphosphatemia, hyperkalemia, and increased hepatic enzymes.”

In simple terms, they cause kidney failure. Experts also noted that dogs might experience vomiting and depression from eating grapes or raisins.

Possible Toxins That Cause Renal Failure in Dogs

can dogs eat grapes - possible toxins that cause renal failure in dogs

Veterinarians believe that some of these compounds found in grapes are potentially poisonous to your pet. They are:


Mycotoxins, a naturally occurring toxin produced by certain fungi, are also found in some fruits, dried fruits, cereals, nuts, and coffee beans. It can cause acute poisoning or cause long-term health issues, such as immune deficiency and cancer.

Salicylic Acid

Salicylic acid, a colorless, bitter-tasting organic compound, is a precursor to aspirin. It is a plant hormone that is known for causing nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

Tartaric Acid

Tartaric acid, a white crystalline substance in many fruits, may cause some adverse effects on dogs. It reportedly enhances the flavor of the grapes.

Note: These compounds are suspected of causing poisoning. Studies are yet underway to understand what causes grape poisoning in dogs.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning to Watch Out For

can dogs eat grapes - symptoms of grape poisoning to watch out for

You might be wondering, can dogs eat seedless grapes? There are minimal differences between seedless and seeded grapes. Besides their method of cultivation and sliver of a nutrient index, they are pretty much the same.

So, no, dogs cannot eat seedless grapes.

What would happen if your dog ate grapes? Here are some symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Reduced appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination

Your dogs may start vomiting within hours of ingestion. Sometimes, all it takes is a single grape. Kidney failure may also occur within a few days.

“Vomiting may spontaneously occur within hours of ingestion. Then, within 1-4 days of ingestion, the kidneys began to shut down, causing increased urination, increased thirst, lethargy, and a reduced appetite. If not treated, these dogs will likely die”, say veterinarians Ahna Brutlag and Adrienne C. Bautista, Pet Poison Helpline.

“With raisin and grape poisoning, animals are going to develop kidney failure within eight hours of ingestion.” – Ahna Brutlag, DVM

Sometimes, dogs may not have a bad reaction after eating grapes at all. However, not all dogs are the same. So it’s best to err on the side of caution and take your dog to the vet anyway. Sometimes, the symptoms don’t manifest even after two days.

There is no guaranteed timeline on how long it will take for a dog to get sick after eating grapes. Moreover, the portions could vary for each individual pet.

According to VCA Animal Hospitals, each dog has varied sensitivity levels when it comes to grapes. This means that every dog reacts differently to grapes. In more common occurrences, though, dogs are more likely to be poisoned when they eat large amounts of grapes.

How Can I Prevent Grape Poisoning in My Dog?

can dogs eat grapes - how can i prevent grape poisoning in my dog

Since you already know the answer to this question, “Can dogs eat grapes?” It’s pretty simple. Keep grapes out of your dog’s reach!

Grapes are delicious and healthy. You may want to keep some grapes at home for you to munch on. Raisins and currants, which are basically dried grapes, are fun to nibble on, too.

But since they are poisonous to dogs, make sure you store them in containers that dogs can’t claw their way to. Don’t put them in plastic bags, either. As for raisins and currants, put them in places your dogs have a hard time reaching.

Since dogs cannot have grapes, its seeds or even raisins, can dogs eat grape jelly? Still no.

Anything that contains grapes is always going to be a no. That means no sultanas, grape jelly, or trail mix with raisins.

Take your dogs to the vet right away if they happen to eat any of these products. Don’t wait for the symptoms to kick in.

How is Grape Poisoning Treated?

When humans get food poisoning, doctors induce vomiting to take the toxins out. The same course of action is used for dogs as well.

“The treatment is decontamination by inducing vomiting and giving activated charcoal is helpful to prevent absorption of the toxins”. – Brutlag and Bautista

The goal is to prevent the toxins from being absorbed and minimize any possible damage to the kidneys.

Your pet will receive diuretic doses of IV fluids to protect the kidneys. Diuretics promote frequent urination.

Veterinarians usually recommend hospitalizing your pet dog for at least two days or until the laboratory results are out. During this time, its kidneys will be closely monitored.

The dog will most likely receive anti-vomiting medication as well.

Treats to Feed Your Dog Instead

can dogs eat grapes - treats to feed your dog instead

Are grapes bad for your dogs? No worries! There are a plethora of options your pet can enjoy. They include:

Dogs can also have dairy products like cheese, milk, and yogurt. However, dogs should only consume small amounts because dairy can result in some digestive issues.

While these are safe, there are some treats that should be avoided. They include:

Frequently Asked Questions

can dogs eat grapes - frequently asked questions

Can One Grape Harm A Dog?

Yes, it can. There is no standard dose of the fruit that could cause kidney failure in dogs. The level of toxicity depends on each dog. Some dogs start vomiting with just one grape, while it may take a whole lot for others.

However, due to the gravity of the effect, it would be best to take your dog to the vet even if it shows no signs.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate One Grape?

Take your dog to the vet immediately. Don’t wait for the symptoms to set in. You may also call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. The helpline will teach you how to monitor your dog after it has ingested grapes.

They will also recommend taking your pet to the vet in person. It is better if the dog is observed at the hospital.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes Without Seeds?

No, seedless grapes are still grapes; they have the same compounds that can be toxic to dogs. Dogs cannot have grapes of any kind, whether fresh, cooked, peeled, or dried. Food products made of grapes like raisins, currants, sultanas, juices, jellies, jams, and wines are a no too. Grapes can be fatal even in small amounts.

To sum it up, dogs shouldn’t eat grapes. Even a single grape can be fatal, as the toxicity levels would depend on your pet’s digestive system. Some dogs may experience immediate renal failure after eating just one grape. For others, the symptoms may not be obvious until hours later. Sometimes, kidney failure may be delayed by a few days.

Keep your dogs safe by keeping grapes away. There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of other snack alternatives that are just as delicious or even more delicious than grapes.


Food & Diet can dogs eat grapes dog food dog health

Previous Article

Best Golden Retriever Breeders in Idaho


Meet Paul, a devoted dog dad to the delightful French Bulldog, Cofi. With a flair for humor and a deep understanding of Frenchie quirks, Paul brings a lighthearted touch to his writings. His relatable stories and practical insights are a blend of laughter and valuable advice and resonate with fellow dog owners.

Through his words, Paul aims to celebrate the joys and challenges of being a dedicated pet parent, reminding you that life is simply better with a four-legged, snorting sidekick by your side.