You’d agree that as a pet parent, your pet’s well-being is your top priority. The one surefire step you can take to ensure your pet is well cared for is signing up for pet insurance. A good policy can help them get the best medical care possible when the situation demands it.
Prudent Pet Insurance, a policy provider run by pet parents for other pet parents promises to cover your pets’ needs. But is Prudent Pet Insurance good? Read our detailed review to judge for yourself.
|Name of Insurance Provider||Prudent Pet Insurance|
|Year of Establishment||2018|
|Key Features||A+ rating from BBB, Hassle-free claims|
|Coverage Limits||$10,000 to unlimited|
|Waiting Period||14 days|
A relatively new pet insurer in the market, Prudent Pet Insurance was established in 2018. They are headquartered in Illinois. Despite being a fairly new insurance service provider, Prudent Pet has emerged as one of the best in the domain. They grabbed the top spot in Trustpilot’s roundup of pet insurance service providers.
The policies offered by Prudent Pet have been underwritten by Markel Insurance Company. Their policies are comprehensive, competitively priced, and customizable.
Let’s check out some of the key benefits offered by Prudent Pet Insurance:
- POCKET FRIENDLY: Prudent Pet Insurance provides coverage for accidents, illnesses, routine, and recurring care. They offer three plans with annual benefits ranging from $10,000 to unlimited. You can choose from their Accident Only, Essential, and Ultimate packages per your needs.
- CUSTOMIZABLE: You can customize their insurance plans according to your requirements specific to your pet. You can do so without incurring any additional costs.
- 24/7 VET ASSISTANCE: Irrespective of which plan you choose, you will have access to vets on chat 24/7. You do not need to schedule an appointment to consult a veterinarian. You can do so from the comfort of your home.
- FAST PROCESSING: Prudent Pet Insurance leverages the power of AI to process your claims at a lightning-fast speed.
- ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS: If you enroll multiple pets from the same household, you will enjoy an additional discount of up to 10%.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: In case you’re unhappy with their service, Prudent Pet Insurance offers an easy cancellation procedure. They also have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- REFERRAL PROGRAM: If you refer a fellow pet parent to take a policy with Prudent, you will get a $15 Amazon eGift Card. Prudent also donate to Best Friends Animal Society for every new customer.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: You get impeccable customer service and all the information you need before, during, and after signing up with them.
That said, no pet insurance policy is infallible. Here are few factors that do not go in favor of Prudence:
- EXPENSIVE PREMIUMS: Although the plans are highly customizable and extensive, you need to pay a considerably hefty amount in premiums.
- EXCLUSIONS: Prudent Pet insurance does not cover more than 25 treatments and procedures including pre-existing conditions, vet house calls, etc.
Also Read: 30 Common Dog Health Problems and Solutions
What Does Prudent Pet Insurance Cover?
Prudent Pet Insurance covers treatment costs for accidents leading to broken bones, sprains (soft tissue issues), wounds (cuts or lacerations), burn injuries (chemical or fire), foreign body ingestion (ate something that is not digestible), toxicity (poisonous substance is ingested), and much more.
Apart from that, allergies, behavioral problem treatments, growth or tumor removal, cancer treatment, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, and Gastroenteritis are some of the illnesses that the policy covers.
In addition to accidents and illnesses, Prudent also provides for the costs of diagnostic and lab tests, treatments like chemotherapy, surgery, stem cell therapy, dental treatments, medical supplies, and more. You can personalize your plan according to your requirements and budget.
|Treatments||Included in Plan?|
|X-Rays, Blood Tests, Ultrasounds||Yes|
Prudent Pet Insurance includes the following:
- Treatment following ingestion of harmful substances
- Ligament treatments
- Hereditary conditions
- Congenital conditions
- Dental issues
What’s Not included?
Does Prudent pet insurance cover prescription dog food? It doesn’t. What else does the policy not cover? Here’s our list for your ready reference:
- Cosmetic or aesthetic procedures
- Pre-existing conditions
- Herbal treatment
- Non-medical treatments and supplies
- Pet training
- Organ transplants
- Housing expenses
- Traveling expenses
- Funerals, urns, and burials
Prudent offers three types of policies to its policyholders. These are Accident Only, Essential, and Ultimate. You can choose between accident-only policies and policies that are a combination of accidents and illnesses.
You can also opt for their optional coverage choices that include veterinary exam fee coverage and wellness add-ons for routine checkups.
The coverage option for accident-only plans are as follows:
- Deductible: $100, $250, and $500
- Annual coverage limit: $10,000 or unlimited (limited choice)
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 90%
The annual coverage limit for accident illness plans is either $10,000 or unlimited. The rest is the same as accident-only plans.
Per the norm, Prudent Pet Insurance does not cover the cost of treatment relating to pre-existing conditions in your cats and dogs. However, if the condition is cured and remains treatment-free for 365 days, it is not considered pre-existing. The only exception to this rule is knee and ligament conditions.
Prudent provides an annual coverage limit of $10,000. But depending on your plan of choice, you can get unlimited coverage too.
You have to file the claim as soon as you take your pet to a vet or veterinary hospital for treatment. You can file your claim through online portals, emails, postal mails, or by sending a fax. All the essential receipts must be added alongside the claim.
For accident coverage, there is a waiting period of 5 days. There is a waiting period of 14 days for illness coverage.
Also, for knee and ligament treatments, a waiting period of 6 months is applicable.
Our Prudent Pet Insurance Review leads us to one conclusion – if you do not have a strict budget for your pet insurance, choose them for comprehensive services and pet care.
Are there other pet insurances you can consider? Sure, but the coverage you get with Prudence is by far one of the very best.
What’s Not Covered By Prudent Pet Insurance?
Here are a few treatments and procedures, out of the 29 excluded conditions, the cost of which is not covered by Prudent Pet Insurance:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Non-medical treatments
- Breeding costs
- Daycare costs
- Grooming costs.
Does Prudent Pet Insurance Cover Vaccines?
Yes, the prime level plan covers the cost of vaccines and vaccination of pets.
Can I Use Prudent Pet Insurance at Every Vet’s Office?
Yes. Prudent Pet Insurance can be used at any medical clinic, or vet that is licensed.
What is the Cancellation Policy of Prudent Pet Insurance?
The cancellation policy of Prudent Pet Insurance is pretty straightforward. If you do not like your program for any reason, you can reach out to the team, and get a complete refund within 30 days.