If you have been a part of or are currently serving the US military, there’s good news for you. There is pet insurance dedicated only to current and former members of the US military. If you have heard of USAA and are searching for a USAA Pet Insurance review, this article is just what you’re looking for.
Does USAA Pet Insurance cover emergencies? Is it worth the price? What plans does it offer?
Keep reading the USAA Pet Insurance review to know more.
|Name of Insurance Provider||USAA Pet Insurance|
|Year of Establishment||1922|
|Key Features||A+ rating from BBB, Hassle-free claims|
|Waiting Period||14 Days|
Founded in 1922, USAA was established as an insurance fund for vehicles by a group of 25 army officers. Eventually, USAA collaborated with Embrace Pet Insurance to introduce pet policies and plans for military pet owners. However, only current and former members of the US military and eligible family members can avail of USAA Pet Insurance.
You’d agree that unexpected medical costs incurred during a pet emergency can be a cause of financial worry. In such cases, USAA Pet Insurance can come to your rescue.
Some of the best features of USAA Pet Insurance are as follows:
- PRE-EXISTING CONDITION POLICY: Unlike any other pet insurance company, the pre-existing policy of USAA Pet Insurance is flexible. So, if a condition has been asymptomatic for the duration of a year, it won’t be considered pre-existing.
- DISCOUNTS: Eligible policyholders can avail anywhere between 15-25% discounts.
- COVERAGE PLANS: You can choose from USAA’s three different plans that focus on accidents, accidents and illnesses, and wellness.
- FLEXIBILITY: You can enlist the help of any licensed vet in the US and avail of USAA’s insurance policies.
However, USAA Pet Insurance does have a few disadvantages too. These are as follows:
- AGE LIMITATION: Pets only under or up to the age of 14 can sign up for all the policies offered by the company. Cats and dogs that are 15 and older are only eligible for Accident Only policies.
- VACCINATION POLICY: If your pet is not vaccinated for a particular illness for which a vaccine is otherwise available, the cost of the treatment will have to be borne by you.
- MEMBERSHIP LIMITATIONS: You can only avail of the policy if you are a former or current US military member.
- COVERAGE: There are no unlimited coverage plans that you can opt for.
Also Read: Dog Vaccine Reactions
What Does USAA Pet Insurance Cover?
A USAA Pet Insurance plan covers the following:
- Cancer treatments
- Prescribed medications
- Behavioral therapy
- Chronic conditions
|Treatments||Included in Plan?|
Does USAA pet insurance cover dental cleaning? Does USAA Pet Insurance cover prescriptions? It is inevitable for such questions to cross our minds before purchasing a new pet policy. Here is a short list of conditions that are included within a USAA Pet Insurance policy:
- Accident and illness costs
- Lab treatments
- Examination fees
- Dental treatments
- Behavioral treatment
What’s Not Included?
As with any other pet insurance company, USAA Pet Insurance comes with certain restrictions and exclusions too. The following are not included under policies offered by it:
- Cost of breeding and pregnancy treatments
- Injuries due to racing, negligence, or cruelty
- Deliberately caused injuries
- Cosmetic procedures
- Pre-existing conditions that have not been treated or been asymptomatic for a duration of 12 months
USAA Pet Insurance offers a primary accident and illness plan. The price of the plan is dependent on various factors like the age, breed, and location of the pet. But, most of the basic veterinary services are included in this plan.
In addition to this, a wellness reward plan is also available. You can add coverage for vaccinations, preventive care, and more to this per your preference.
How Much Does USAA Pet Insurance cost? Well, the cost of the plans offered by USAA is determined by its partnered company, Embrace Pet Insurance. However, the plans offered are extremely affordable and can be customized per your budget.
A primary accident and illness plan for a pet dog starts at approximately $13. And, for a cat, the initial plan price is around $8. The price, however, is determined on the basis of various factors like the breed of the pet, age, gender, and location.
As a USAA Pet Insurance member, you can also avail yourself of a discount of up to 15%. Policyholders with multiple pets or holding active duty military members can avail discounts as high as up to 25%.
Conditions that exist in a pet before a policy is commenced or during the waiting period are known as pre-existing conditions. They can be of two types — curable and incurable.
Incurable conditions are not covered by USAA Pet. However, if a pet suffers from a curable condition, the symptoms of which do not occur for 12 months, such condition can be covered by the USAA Pet policies.
USAA Pet does not offer unlimited coverage options. The limit starts from $5,000 and goes up to $30,000.
Claiming a USAA Pet Insurance policy is fairly easy. All claims are directly filed to Embrace Pet Insurance.
After you receive an invoice from your vet, complete the claim form, and submit it online through your MyEmbrace account, or mobile application. You can also fax or mail the claim directly to Embrace’s office.
Once the claim is approved, your money will be reimbursed within 2-3 business days.
For illnesses, a waiting period of 14 days is applicable. A waiting period of 48 hours is applicable for accidents.
6 months waiting period is applicable for orthopedic conditions in dogs, which can be reduced to 14 days after giving an orthopedic exam and fulfilling a waiver process.
Our USAA Pet Insurance review reveals that USAA Pet Insurance delivers what it promises. Given the budget-friendly pricing and scope of discount, it is one of the best options for military pet owners.
With USAA Pet, there are no complicated plans for you to decipher. You can customize your program per your budget, and decide if it is worth your money or not. Personally, we would place our bets on it, and so should you.
What’s Not Covered by USAA Pet Insurance?
Does USAA Pet Insurance cover medications? It does. However, it comes with certain exclusions too. They are as following:
- Certain Pre-existing conditions
- DNA testing costs
- Cosmetic procedures
- Pregnancy treatment and related costs
- Breeding costs
Does USAA Pet Insurance Cover Vaccines?
The wellness reward plan offered by USAA Pet Insurance covers vaccines. You have to purchase it separately.
Can I Use USAA Pet Insurance at Every Vet’s Office?
You might be wondering if the USAA Pet Insurance is accepted everywhere. As long as a licensed vet is treating your pet, you can choose anyone!